For loop to run through a range, adding (or counting) as you go.
You have records in a worksheet, and you want to find out something about the entire record set, like the average of a field.
Range object, representing records in the worksheet.
A variable with a characteristic of the record set, like a field's total, or a record count.
Use the Create a Range pattern to, er, create a
- Dim sTotalHappiness As Single
- Dim sTotalCoolness As Single
- Dim sNumberOfRecordsInRange As Single
- Dim sCurrentRecordNumber As Single
- 'Get the number of rows in the range.
- sNumberOfRecordsInRange = rGoatDataTable.Rows.Count
- 'Initialize totals.
- sTotalHappiness = 0
- sTotalCoolness = 0
- 'Compute totals
- For sCurrentRecordNumber = 1 To sNumberOfRecordsInRange
- sTotalHappiness = sTotalHappiness + rGoatDataTable.Cells(sCurrentRecordNumber, HAPPINESS_FIELD)
- sTotalCoolness = sTotalCoolness + rGoatDataTable.Cells(sCurrentRecordNumber, COOLNESS_FIELD)
- Next sCurrentRecordNumber
Use other patterns to limit the data you process. For example, you can validate the records, and filter to process a subset.